[Samba] Windows 7 Can't Join Samba 3.5.4 PDC

Andrew Niemantsverdriet andrew at rocky.edu
Thu Jul 21 07:50:43 MDT 2011

Hi all,

When trying to join a windows 7 box to a samba 3.5.4 acting as a PDC I
am getting an error on the windows 7 box that says
DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS (the full error log is included at bottom of
mail). WinXP machines are able to join the domain fine, just not
windows 7 boxes. My (sanitized) config is located is included at the
bottom of the mail.

I have tried doing the registry patches to the windows 7 box but am
not using those right now. The error persists even with the registry
changes applied.

Can anybody tell me what I need to do to fix this error?

##############BEGIN CONFIG#######################
    [global]
    workgroup = RMC2
    server string = RMC2
    netbios name = TOPAZ

    domain logons = yes
    preferred master = yes
    domain master = yes
    local master = yes

    security = user
    enable privileges = yes
    server string = Samba Server %v
    encrypt passwords = Yes

    logon home = \\topaz\%U
    logon path =
    logon script = scripts\logon.bat
    logon drive = H:
    template shell = /bin/false

    passdb backend = ldapsam:ldap://server.example.com/
    ldap admin dn = uid=Manager,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com
    ldap passwd sync = yes
    ldap ssl = start_tls
    ldap suffix = dc=example,dc=com
    ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
    ldap user suffix = ou=People
    ldap machine suffix = ou=Machines

    wins support = Yes
    add machine script = /usr/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
    lock directory = /var/cache/samba
    os level = 100

    [netlogon]
    path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
    read only = yes

##############BEGIN ERROR#######################
The domain name "RMC2" might be a NetBIOS domain name.  If this is the
case, verify that the domain name is properly registered with WINS.

If you are certain that the name is not a NetBIOS domain name, then
the following information can help you troubleshoot your DNS
configuration.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV)
resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller
(AD DC) for domain "RMC2".

The error was: "No DNS servers configured for local system."

(error code 0x0000267C DNS_ERROR_NO_DNS_SERVERS)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.RMC2

Thanks,
--
 _
/-\ ndrew Niemantsverdriet