[Samba] Password Resets as root

John P Janosik jpjanosi at us.ibm.com
Tue Jul 12 07:01:05 MDT 2011

Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at SerNet.DE> wrote on 07/12/2011 01:32:26
AM:

> > I ended up patching pdbedit to add a new option "  -Y,
--pw-must-change
> >      set password must change flag" and call this after setting the
pw.
> > Does anyone know if there is another way to accomplish this so I don't

> > have to patch Samba at each release?  If there is no way with the
current
> > tools would a patch be accepted to add this?
>
> First, such a patch would be appreciated, although pdbedit
> is a bit deprecated. Try "net sam set pwdmustchangenow".
>
> Volker

The "net sam set pwdmustchangenow" works, thanks.  I see I can also use
"net user" to add the user instead of using pdbedit, but I need to
authenticate.  I'm trying to avoid authenticating so I'm hoping to stay
with pdbedit.  Since it is a bit deprecated, is it a bad idea for me to
use it?  Will it be removed in the next major release?

John
jpjanosi at us.ibm.com