[Samba] samba4 and ntfs

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 10:16:48 MDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Jean-Pierre
<jean-pierre.andre at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> vasishath kaushal wrote:
>> to ntfs sharing. I have shared an ntfs drive from my pc via samba. The
>> probem
>> is that i am not able to browse my share with any account except for
>> administrator account.
>
> You did not tell how your ntfs filesystem is mounted.
> With ntfs-3g the filesystem is generally mounted with
> ownership and permissions disabled, hence all files
> appear as owned by root (or a specific user).

NTFS 3G is also a fuse userspace mount, and by default only the user
than mounts it can access it.  There's a fuse "allow other" option
that I recall ntfs3g supporting.

you do not have to use ntfs to use samba, and actually probably should
not.  at best it's going to perform poorly due to all the user to
kernel to user space context switching, and at worst the multiple
layers of acl translations might corrupt your filesystem permission,
if not the data itself.  Samba is stable, ntfs3g is considered stable,
but i don't know how well the 2 have been tested together.  I'd equate
it to using 2 jack stands, one on top of another, to hold a car up
high... might work well, until it gets bumped just the wrong way.