[Samba] Connecting to domain authenticated share from non-domain machine

Robert Horton r.horton at qmul.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 03:48:24 MDT 2011

Hi,

I've got a domain controller and two file servers (A & B) connected to a
domain using the ldapsam backend. The domain controller and fileserver A
are running Samba 3.5.4 (from RHEL6) and fileserver B is running Samba
3.0.33 (from RHEL5).

Other machines are able to join the domain as expected and between
machines in the domain I am able to connect to shares as expected. The
problem is with connecting to shares from a machine which is not part of
the domain - this works with the Samba 3.0.33 fileserver but not with
the Samba 3.5.4 one. Any ideas why this might be?

I also notice that things like "net rpc user" produce no output on
machines other than the domain controller - does this indicate a problem
or is it normal?

Thanks,
Rob