[Samba] BDC Server Settings Doubts?

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Mon Jan 31 05:55:40 MST 2011

2011/1/31 Alberto Moreno <portsbsd at gmail.com>:
(snip)
>   As u can see, both serves exist on different subnets,I want to save
> bandwidth,this is the reason I setup a BDC in my other network, now,
> what are the correct settings for the network browser for my BDC:
>
>        preferred master = No (Just the PDC)
>        wins server = 192.168.40.2  (PDC IP)
>        wins support = No  (Just the PDC=yes)
>        domain logons = Yes
>        domain master = No   (This just for the PDC)
>        local master = Yes   ??????
>
>   This are right for my BDC?, every time I setup a BDC on different
> subnet do I have to use local master = Yes? or this wouldn't make any
> difference?
>
>   Samba 3.3.x Centos 5.5.

If you want to setup your BDC same as Windows BDC, you should set:

  preferred master = Yes
  domain master = No   (This just for the PDC)
  local master = Yes

At least one (local) master browser should exist in each subnet.

In Microsoft implementation (one of ) BDC should become master browser
unless PDC exists in the same subnet.

Remember that Samba cannot become a backup browser, so if you have multiple
BDCs and PDC in the same subnet, only one should be set:

  preferred master = Yes

You had better read documentation about browsing.

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>