[Samba] Question on how to get Samba to use larger pread/write calls.

Chris Duffy cjd at small-tree.com
Wed Jan 19 15:40:05 MST 2011

Thx....

James Peach sent something similar to me too......
darn vfs objects :)  Thx james :)
I remember now on irix we had to do some stuff with these.....

I do not see the "cacheprime" vfs object on FC13 but I
do see "readahead" so I guess I will start with that.......

I also heard that there are some other I/O tuning
that I can do in the Linux/FC kernel to maybe increase the
read/write sizes.......

The kicker here is that I am using an Areca 1880-ix-16
as well as an ATTO R680 card in my boxes and they do not
work very well with small I/Os..... They are both 6Gbit
technology and I have 16 X 2TB fast Hitachi drives
in the connected raid....... No one has issues
with reading/writing one file....it is where
one wants to read or write say 20-40 files simultaneously
it all goes to heck with small I/Os to/from the raid cards
on Linux.

I use "fio" as a test vehicle.  It runs over 10Gbit
port from a client to a 10Gbe port on my FC13
system.....using samba or netatalk....simulating 20-40
video users.... to see home many read/pread's
I can get under 38ms/1MByte......  It is a requirement we
have for Video editing......I have tuned Mac OS using the
ATTO R680 card and it has no problems with low latency
for 20-30 sessions/users......The most I can get out of
FC13 is maybe 8-10.

So it looks like I have homework to do to get Linux/FC13
so it handles I/O's bigger :)

Thx
chris

--