[Samba] Possible bug in nss_winbind with ad backend and rfc2307

Jim Stalewski JStalewski at VisaLighting.com
Fri Jan 21 13:57:09 MST 2011

More info on this topic:

Without giving my AD domain's Domain Users group an Unix gid, getent
passwd enumerates no AD users.  With the Domain Users group having a gid
in the range of the idmap config range, I do get my users enumerated
with a getent passwd.

In winbindd.log, for each cached user with rfc2307 information, it logs
for nss_get_info_cached:
result:
      homedir = '/home/user'
      shell = '/bin/bash'
      gecos = '(null)'     (because I'm not using gecos attrib)
      gid = '60000'

but the getent passwd result is
user:*:10043:12011:User Name:/home/user:/bin/bash

where 12011 is the gid I gave to "Domain Users."

rfc2307 should have returned gid 60000 as per the nss_get_info_cached
result.

If I do: getent passwd user
the result is:
user:*:10043:60000:User Name:/home/user:/bin/bash

as it should be.

gid 60000 is a local group, not an AD-defined group, so as not to depend
on AD for filesystem group ownership/permissions.  If getent passwd
doesn't enumerate the user data with the user having the proper default
group, they will not inherit the proper permissions.