[Samba] samba not knowing new users

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 07:22:47 MST 2011

For a standalone server, with unix accounts for the users, you will not
need winbind anyway.    Did you modify /etc/nsswitch.conf to look for
users in winbind-  you do not want to do this.

Does "pdbedit -Lv" show the users?

How are you viewing the smbpasswd file?  It should be a TDB type file
that you can view the contents with "tdbdump the_file_name."

In smb.conf, if you are restricting shares to specific users, maybe you
should try restricting shares to specific groups and then making sure
the users are in the groups.

Samba will reread the smb.conf file with out having to restart samba.
However if you already have an open session to samba, I suspect that new
changes to smb.conf may not affecting existing sessions.  So the problem
may actually be that samba may be recognizing the user but denying access.