[Samba] UID Matching

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:32:27 MST 2011

As a disclaimer, I am not using samba as a AD member server-  although I
am also thinking about how I might make that happen.

I am reading the man page for idmap_ad.

        The idmap_ad plugin provides a way for Winbind to read id
mappings from
        an AD server that uses RFC2307/SFU schema extensions. This module
        implements only the "idmap" API, and is READONLY. Mappings must be
        provided in advance by the administrator by adding the
        posixAccount/posixGroup classes and relative attribute/value
pairs to
        the user and group objects in the AD.

So on closer reading it does suggest it will pick up the unix UID and
unix GID directly from AD.    I had confused this earlier with the
idmap_rid backend.

Are you also using autofs for your unix clients?