[Samba] Samba migration to a new server

henri ciradhb.forward at laposte.net
Wed Jan 12 05:26:28 MST 2011

Hi all,

Is it possible to migrate Samba to a new server without breaking Domain
membership of all the clients ?

I didn’t get any info on that issue, is there someone that has previous
experience of doing that ? Or maybe a link to some relevant info ?

I have currently a Samba 3.5.6 server that acts as a PDC and print Server,
with tdbsam backend, no LDAP at all, no roaming profile. I have to migrate
samba to a new server. Everything (Samba release, Domain Name, shares, ...)
will remain the same except for the DNS name and IP address of the server,
and the samba server netbios name.

What is the best way to proceed to make this migration as seamless as
possible for all users (more than 200 user accounts with more than 200 PC in
the domain) ? I guess that just moving all the samba configuration files
from the old machine to the new one will not be enough.

Thanks in advance. I really need your help.

Henri