[Samba] Solaris 10 winbind authentication with ADS

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 05:36:52 MST 2011

Hi

On 6 January 2011 01:11, CJ Keist <cj.keist at colostate.edu> wrote:
> Well,
>     I did smart thing and upgraded my Solaris box to Solaris 10 update 9.
>  And now my winbind authentication has broken.  I have checked all my
> /usr/lib/*winbind* and /usr/lib/security/*winbind* libs and all are still
> good from my last install.  /etc/pam.conf, nsswitch.conf are still intact.
>  wbinfo seems to work fine.  getent passwd username just returns empty.
>
> This is what I'm getting in my /var/samba/log/log.winbindd file:
>
> [2011/01/05 16:04:00.061446,  2]
> winbindd/winbindd.c:819(winbind_client_request_read)
>  Could not read client request from fd 22: I/O error

I don't run Solaris and am not using winbind, so this is just a guess,
but I hope it helps.

winbind communicates via a socket, which I think is put in /tmp by
default (/tmp/.winbindd/ or something like that).  Can you check what
"fd 22" is?  e.g. using lsof.  Maybe it's the socket.

It might be that Solaris 10 changes something about /tmp that
interferes with winbind's socket?  Maybe try putting the socket
somewhere else.  I think you're supposed to be able to do this with
"winbind:socket dir = ...".

It seems the "winbind:socket dir" option was introduced in Samba 3.2.0.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>