[Samba] Users, Groups, and Computers

Christ Schlacta lists at aarcane.org
Wed Jan 5 17:32:20 MST 2011

It was discussed recently on this list, but no difinitive answer was
given regarding:  Posix and Sam accounts and their location in an ldap
directory.

I've only ever seen documentation of them being stored in 3 distinct
OUs.  But is there anything in samba that requires this?  can they be
stored in other organizational models?  I know ldap is designed to be
able to organize things in different ways..  I know many tools need to
know where to create users and groups..  but is there any reason that
users, groups, and machines can't be sorted elsehow?  if no answer can
be given, I'm prepared to attempt a test case, but that will take some time.