[Samba] winbind and group permissions

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 09:18:22 MST 2011

That sounds like a pretty good description of winbind and nsswitch.

The tricky party, depending on your configuration, is that one "real"
user can end up with two uid's-  one from the "unix" account (e.g.
/etc/passwd, nis or ldap) and one from winbind.    Your DC's should not
be using winbind for the local samba domain if the users already have
unix accounts that are also being used for things like nfs or ssh.