[Samba] Samba crashes & floods logfiles: "smbd/notify_inotify.c:244(inotify_handler) - No data on inotify fd?!"

Tue Jan 4 06:00:28 MST 2011

Hello Volker!

Thank you very much for your time that you spent to help me!

>> 1a). Is it correct that "kernel change notify" is a "per share"
>> setting and not in the [global] section, so that I will have to put
> It's a global setting, putting it into [global] once is
> enough.

Ok!

>> 2. Is it correct that if I do insert "kernel change notify = No" to
>> my shares, that I won't be able to see changes in the folders from
>> my Windows Clients, but I will have to manually trigger a refresh
>> ("F5") each time I want to see if changes have occured? E.g. if many
>> users save files to a share, I won't see those new files until I
>> trigger a refresh manually? Or is it only concerning the changes
>> that a linux-process might have performed, e.g. a cronjob that
>> copied a file into a share?
>
> It's the latter. If other cifs clients change something,
> it should still work.

I see.

>> 3. Did I do anything wrong, or is this a problem with the standard
>> kernel included in openSUSE 11.2? Is there anything I can do about
>> it?
>
> Not sure here. Very likely not your fault, but I would need
> to see a box where this happens myself to be 100% sure.

Is this a common problem? I mean: why do I suffer from this and others not?

Volker, Andrew Masterson answered in this thread, that he has the same
problem, as me and that he places "notify:inotify = false" in [global]
to avoid the spamming in /var/log/messages.

If I understand correctly, with your solution I turn the problem off,
but suffer from some compromise in functionality, while in Andrew's
solution I actually do not turn the problem off, but just do not log it
anymore.
What solution should I prefer by your opinion, in terms of a rocksolid
server configuration?

Thank you for your help!
Best regards
Tom