[Samba] samba update mapping works, domain doesn't

Renee soundwreck at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:12:55 MST 2011

Hello,

I have updated samba on a solaris 8 system from samba-3.0.23d to
samba-3.5.6.  I can map drives on a Windows XP machine without any trouble
but the domain controller doesn't seem to be working.  When I try to login
to the domain, I get the dreaded "windows cannot find the domain..." error.
I also cannot browse through network neighborhood.  The error I get there is
"DOM is not accessible.  You might not have permission...<etc>. The network
name cannot be found".

This may or may not be related, but including it in case it is.  I cannot
get smbclient to work properly either.  This seems to be a known bug.
Example:

serv# ./smbclient //serv/fred -Ufred
Enter fred's password:
Domain=[DOM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.5.6]
ld.so.1: ./smbclient: fatal: relocation error: file
/usr/local/lib/libreadline.so.4: symbol tgetent: referenced symbol not found
Killed

When I revert back to 3.0.23d, everything works properly.  The config files
are set up in the same way.  Both installations are confined to their own
directories so that I can switch back and forth between versions easily.  I
copied the contents of samba-3.0.23d/private to samba-3.5.6/private.  As far
as I can tell, this works in the sense that samba is authenticating properly
when I map drives.  It just can't seem to find the domain controller.

Thanks, Renee