[Samba] Initializing a Samba3 ldapsam

Mike Brady mike.brady at devnull.net.nz
Mon Feb 21 23:56:42 MST 2011

>> I have spent the last few days attempting to get a Samba3 PDC/BDC
>> setup with an LDAP SAM and need some clarification on exactly what
>> should/can be initialized in the LDAP SAM.
>>
>> As my main sources of information/inspiration I have been using
>> http://http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Replicated_Failover_Domain_Controller_and_file_server_using_LDAP and >the smbldap-tools source code, but have also been reading "Samba by Example" and the Samba How-tos.  >Unfortunately there are inconsistencies that I can not
>> resolve.
>>
>> The short version of the question is - is there a full
>> specification  (preferably in the form of an LDIF file) of
>> everything that can/should  be initialized in the LDAP SAM?
>>
>> The longer version is:
>>
>> 1) Both the Wiki and smbldap-tools have sambaGroupType set to 5 for
>>  the BUILTIN groups.  I found this reference saying that the
>> sambaGroupType should be 4 for BUILTIN groups.
>> http://samba.2283325.n4.nabble.com/LDAP-backend-and-sambaGroupType-for-builtin-groups-td2446893.html
>> Which is correct?
>>
>> 2) The Wiki page has all the BUILTIN groups with "full domain"
>> SIDs,  but smbldap-tools has what I think are the correct SID for
>> these  groups.  Which is correct?
>>
>> e.g. for Account Operators the Wiki has
>> S-1-5-21-3809161173-2687474671-1432921517-548 and smbldap-tools has
>>  S-1-5-32-548.
>>
>> 3) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330  has a long list of the
>> well  known SIDs, many of which do not make sense in a Samba
>> domain, but is  there a full list of all the ones that do make
>> sense for Samba and  what the LDAP SAM should be initialized to to
>> implement them?
>>

>> Thanks
>>
>> Mike

> Mike,
>
> Try this from the Official Samba How-To
>
> http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/groupmapping.html
>
> In the section in the section, "Default Users, Groups, and Relative
> Identifiers". The only three _required_  groups are:   Domain Admins, RID=512
>   Domain Users, RID=513
>   Domain Guests, RID=514
>
>  In addition to these groups I also have the following domain users just
>  for completeness:  Domain Administrator, RID=500
>  Domain Guest, RID=501
>

> The builtin groups (RIDS=544 through 533) are not listed as required,
> but you can put them in your ldapsam backend. You will have to add them
> with, sambaGroupType=4, if you want them to show up in usermgr.exe.
>
> If I have got the correct understanding, SIDs that start with S-1-2-21
> will be domain SIDs and will be followed by the domain sid and then a
> RID. The SIDs that start with S-1-2-32 are for local SIDs (machine local
> users and groups) and should be put in a machine local backend (at least
> when I get the time I will look into putting them into a local tdbsam on
> the local server).

> [...]

Bob

Thanks for the thoughts.

I had seen the group mapping page and have read it and many others a
number of times :-) As you say there is lot of information in
different places to piece together and it doesn't help when a lot of
it is wrong.

But no matter. On wards and upwards.   I have an LDIF file that I
think is correct based on my knowledge and that gets me a running
domain.  I will go over it again and tidy it up some more.  I am sure
that I have some challenges to come still, but I will keep bashing
away at it.

Thanks

Mike