[Samba] Fedora 14 and Samba 3.4.11 compile/install blues

Mac webreg.samba.org at panscend.com
Fri Feb 18 08:16:42 MST 2011

 > On 2/18/2011 8:40 AM, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> Apologies to Mac, who will have this twice - I didn't realise the list
> doesn't include a "reply-to list" header. :(
No worries, I can deal :)

> On 18 February 2011 13:56, Mac<webreg.samba.org at panscend.com>  wrote:
>> from the install). Then tried to run the daemons manually. Both get the same
>> error "/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries:
>> libtalloc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory".
>
> The configure output suggests it's going to build it
>
>>> checking whether to build the libtalloc shared library... yes
>
> and the make suggests it built it:
>
>>> Linking shared library bin/libtalloc.so.1
>
> and make install suggests it installed it:
>
>>> /usr/bin/install -c bin/libtalloc.so.1 //usr/local/samba/lib
>
> So that just leaves ldconfig.
>
> Have you added /usr/local/samba/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf?
>
> Geoff

OK, I did that, which allowed me to run smbd manually (actually, after
looking at the include line in the LD.so.conf, I added a new ldconfig
conf file for samba to the /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ folder as that made more
sense to this ldconfig newbie, but the result is the same).

It's been a while since I've done a compile. Didn't the make install do
that for you in the past? As well as creating a first time
/etc/samba/smb.conf? And setting up the script for getting the daemons
in the services list as stopped items? And everything else that is
supposed to get you started on a vanilla set up? Seems like the make
install didn't finish for some reason.

If so, what might have stopped it from finishing?

Is it the fact that I'm using a version of Samba not compatible with
Fedora 14 (I could back up to any version or other Linux flavor if that
might help).

If this is expected behavior from the install (or there is no way to get
it to finish), I will have a bunch of work to get it running and I'll
always be waiting for it to fall apart cause there is a step in the
install that I missed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mac