[Samba] cooperation with samba?

Wed Feb 9 03:09:37 MST 2011

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011 at 10:45:00AM +0100, Helmut Hullen wrote:
> Hallo, Simon (and Andrew),
>
> Du meintest am 08.02.11:
>
> >> in the samba mailinglist there was a remark that samba 4 is designed
> >> only for the BIND nameserver; look escpecially at
> >>
> >>   http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2011-February/160848.html
> >>
> >> I know that most programmers work in their "free" time (me too). But
> >> I don't like working with the ISC DNS, and I'd like working with
> >> "dnsmasq" under samba 4 too.
>
> > My understanding of the situation is that full integration with AD
> > requires support for dynamic DNS and the ability to update DNS zones
> > with a fair variety of esoteric record types. To provide that sort of
> > facility in dnsmasq would require re-writing and generalising a lot
> > of code.
>
> [...]
>
> But what about people who want to use Samba without ADS, perhaps far
> away from a Windows environment? It's more simple to configure, it
> doesn't need specially trained operators.
>
> What about "Samba 4 light for SOHO"?

That's called Samba3 ;-)

Whatever the details of Samba4 will finally look like, there
will always be a way to just run a very simple file server
with local users. The required components for that will be
part of what will be shipped as Samba version 4.

With best regards,

Volker Lendecke

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9