[Samba] Freebsd pdc

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Feb 6 15:32:30 MST 2011

On 02/06/2011 03:04 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

>> I haven't used FreeBSD, but I have set up several PDCs. They work ok with
>> default settings, however if users have a large amount of data associated
>> with their account (in Application Data, My Documents, and/or Desktop
>> folders for example), logging off/on can become terribly inefficient. This
>> is because Windoze saves all of this local data to the server when the user
>> logs off, taking a good bit of time (I've seen 20 minutes or so), while
>> putting a strain on both the network and server.
>
> ???
>
> That would only be the case if you enabled roaming profiles ; which
> isn't active by default either.

Terry was asking about roaming profiles specifically, not a stock pdc.

> And this would be an either wether you use samba PDA or windows server.

Absolutely. This is part of the reason why many windows admins choose to
not implement roaming profiles.

>> The solution to this problem is to change the default location for various
>> folders to be on the server, so that the data doesn't need to be copied to
>> the server during the logoff process. This is accomplished by creating a
>> custom NTConfig.POL file in the netlogon directory which changes the
>> location of these folders to reside on the server instead of the local HDD.
>
> no the solution is to disable roaming profiles

That's no solution.

> http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles
>
> Don't have a "logon path" set.

If that's your preference.

I was just trying to be helpful with getting roaming profiles working.
They do work nicely when properly configured. It takes some doing though.

--
-Eric 'shubes'