[Samba] Seperate BIND server for Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Feb 2 23:41:39 MST 2011

On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 11:24 -0800, Amaru Netapshaak wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've set up samba 4 with great success since alpha12, but i've always used a
> locally installed version of BIND.
>
> Is it possible to use a seperate BIND server instead? I'd like to not run BIND
> on my file server.

This isn't recommended.  In future versions of Samba4, we will support
BIND 9.8 and a plugin that will directly read and write our database, to
support GSSTSIG dynamic updates and to allow multiple DNS servers in the
domain.  This will need to be on a real DC.

Certainly it is possible to run a distinct DNS server with BIND, but I
don't recommend it.  You would have to ensure that you copied all the
correct files across, and updated the zone manually for the changed
nameserver IPs etc.

Samba4 should probably not be your file server at this stage, but if
security is your worry then of course the AD DC is the heart of that.

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Developer, Cisco Inc.