[Samba] WINS backup/failover with Samba 3 ?

Timothy Madden terminatorul at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 04:32:51 MST 2011

Hello

I have Samba 3.0.33-3.29.el5 on Centos 5.7 and I hear there is no WINS
replication for it. I have a sub-net where I would like to use all
machines for production (they are product testing servers), and I would
like to be able to reboot any one of them as needed.

Since the sub-net is behind a cheap commercial home router, I need VPN
to access the network "directly". So I set up 3 openvpn "servers", and
the VPN client will automatically try them in order, and connect to the
first one that answers. Each VPN server has a forwarded port on the router.

To get samba name resolving to work across the VPN connection I need a
WINS server, preferably on the VPN server machine.

The problem is I can not have three WINS servers, to use the first one
that works, as I can have 3 VPN servers. Is there a way around this
problem ?

Trying to set just 'wins proxy', without 'wins support' or 'wins
server', did not help, VPN client machines could not resolve computer
names from VPN server sub-net.

I see in the 'wins server' description for smb.conf that I can list more
than one server there, but still the 'wins support' option says there
should only be *one* wins server in my network. Is there a way to have
more WINS servers ?

Thank you,
Timothy Madden