[Samba] Directly replace smb. [Scanned]

Christopher M. Bailey chris at chrisbailey.au.com
Mon Aug 15 20:41:14 MDT 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: yyq at eisoo.com
Sent: Tue, 8/16/2011 12:06pm
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: [Samba] Directly replace smb. [Scanned]

Hi,all,
     I have a redhat Linux of 2.6.24 kernel(x86_64), which smb is 3.0, I
want to upgrade it, but the system doesn't have gcc development and no
rpm, that means I can't upgrade the smb on this machine.So I compile the
new samba on other machine and copy necessary files and replace them on
my target machine and checked:

smbd -V
nmbd -V
winbind -V

are all the right version, but I can't start the service: service smb
start and etc. are all failed. what's wrong with my method?

My smb configure as below:

    SBINDIR: /usr/sbin
    BINDIR: /usr/bin
    SWATDIR: /etc/swat
    CONFIGFILE: /etc/samba/smb.conf
    LOGFILEBASE: /var/samba
    LMHOSTSFILE: /etc/samba/lmhosts
    LIBDIR: /usr/lib
    MODULESDIR: /usr/lib
    SHLIBEXT: so
    LOCKDIR: /usr/var/locks
    STATEDIR: /usr/var/locks
    CACHEDIR: /usr/var/locks
    PIDDIR: /usr/var/locks
    SMB_PASSWD_FILE: /usr/private/smbpasswd
    PRIVATE_DIR: /usr/private

believed to be clean.

What was wrong with using yum to install gcc and the other software you require before compiling the tar ball directly on the system you want to install on?

Cheers,
Chris

believed to be clean.