[Samba] XP is unable to write to samba shares - Valid users?

Jefferson Allen j.allen at mercuryfilmworks.com
Mon Aug 15 13:51:04 MDT 2011

I have a client with a linux server with samba installed and I've created
users using the smbpasswd command (user1,user2,user3...) but when I go to
the XP machines they can see the different shares but are unable to write to
the folders or create additional folders based on their user1 and password.
I want them to validate themselves to the linux server so that if their
domain goes down they can still access their files on the samba file server
but currently they cannot write to the folder based on the config so far.

rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)

Processing section "[DATA]"

Processing section "[USER]"

Processing section "[ADMIN]"

Processing section "[printers]"

Loaded services file OK.

Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]

        workgroup = Office1

        server string = Samba Server

        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

        max log size = 50

        unix extensions = No

        logon path = \\%25N\%25U\profile

        logon home = \\%25N\%25U

        domain master = No

        cups options = raw

[SACA_DATA]

        path = /mnt/DATA

        valid users = user1, user2, user3, user4, user5, root

        admin users = user1

        read only = No

        create mask = 0666

        directory mask = 0777

        guest ok = Yes

[SACA_USER]

        path = /mnt/USER

        valid users = user1, user2, user3, user4, user5, root

        read only = No

        create mask = 0666

        directory mask = 0777

        guest ok = Yes