[Samba] 3.6.0 rejects new passwords greater than 8 characters

Maurice R Volaski maurice.volaski at einstein.yu.edu
Fri Aug 12 21:14:43 MDT 2011

I have passwords stored in passdb.tdb by smbpasswd in Solaris Express 11. For existing accounts, all passwords, including those more than 8 characters, work. However, when I created a new account and assigned it a password greater than 8 characters, I am unable to login from Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Windows Server 2008. The smbclient on the Solaris server still works. Passwords 8 characters or fewer work everywhere.

--
Maurice Volaski, maurice.volaski at einstein.yu.edu<mailto:maurice.volaski at einstein.yu.edu>
Computing Support, Dominick P. Purpura Department of Neuroscience