[Samba] how to upgrade to samba 3.6.0

Christian PERRIER bubulle at debian.org
Thu Aug 11 15:01:36 MDT 2011

Quoting alex wallis (alexwallis646 at googlemail.com):
> Hi list.
> I am a complete newbie to samba and not particularly experienced with linux,
> can someone please tell me how do I upgrade to samba 3.6.0?
> I have managed to upgrade from the default samba 3.4 that the ubuntu
> repositories provide to samba 3.5, but obviously would like to run
> the latest version I am just not sure what repository I need to add
  ^^^^^^^^^^

why?

> etc.
> I am running a version of ubuntu lucid 64 bit, and so will be
> upgrading with the apt-get program.

Well, I have no idea what are plans for Ubuntu (you don't tell what
version you're using....sounds like 8.04) but I don't think there will
be official upgrades to 3.6 in that version of the distro.

So, you're either on your own rolling out your own packages or local
builds....or play russian roulette by using a random repository from
random people who backport packages....:-)

Or you can just continue using the quite rock solid version you have
right now.

My own servers are running 3.5 versions (most often Debian backports
or Debian official packages as they're all Debian "squeeze") and plans
to go to 3.6 are not meant for the immediate future.