[Samba] ldapsearch with samba4 (now a question about SASL and ldaps

Matthieu Patou mat at samba.org
Mon Apr 25 08:14:47 MDT 2011

Hello Andrew,

> Update...
>
> I did get ldaps and -Z working, but I can't do it with SASL, I can't
> find docs that say, but is it possible that SASL (GSSAPI) and ldaps
> are not compatible?

What -Z is supposed to do ?

> ldapsearch -H ldaps://ldapserver.domain -Y GSSAPI
> SASL/GSSAPI authentication started
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Server is unwilling to perform (53)
>         additional info: SASL:[GSSAPI]: Sign or Seal are not allowed
> if TLS is used
>
> <snip>
> So the question is are SASL and ldaps not compatible and if that is
> the case which is better?  I like GSSAPI because I don't need to store
> passwords on the system, but I'm not clear on how encrypted the data
> being transmitted is.  I did a packet capture and I do see some data
> that doesn't look like clear text, but that's all I know for sure :)

Have a look at ldbsearch (our ldap like search tool).

Can you try ldbsearch -H ldaps://name_of_your_dc  -k 1
It should work to do GSSAPI (kerberos) and ldaps, at least it works for me !
Can you also try ldbsearch -H ldaps://name_of_your_dc -U user_in_the_ad

--
Matthieu Patou
Samba Team        http://samba.org