[Samba] MSDFS - Can you hide folders with no access

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at monyo.com
Fri Apr 8 09:55:04 MDT 2011

From: guyver at on-luebeck.de
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:47:09 +0200 (CEST)

> i got a msdfs share running and now i want to hide folders from users who
> got no access to them anyway.

(snip)

> Is something like that possible mit samba itself or does someone know a
> workaround to get it running like that ?

For example

To set smb.conf
-----
[dfsshare]
  path = /some/where
  include = dfsshare.%G
-----

To set dfsshare.group1
-----
  veto files = /group2*/group3*/
-----

To set on dfsshare

-----
# ls -l
... group1-share1 -> msdfs:...
... group1-share2 -> msdfs:...
... group2-share1 -> msdfs:...
... group2-share2 -> msdfs:...
... group3-share1 -> msdfs:...
... group3-share2 -> msdfs:...

----

This way is a workaround?

As far as I examined on Samba 3.5.8, to set veto files parameter,
matched files (including msdfs:... symlinks) are not accesible. So to
combine with include parameter and %G variable, you can control which
groups (or users) can access which links ( or %U if you want to
control per user).

---
TAKAHASHI Motonobu <monyo at samba.gr.jp>