[Samba] what architecture is required for having a samba working ?

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:36:11 MDT 2011

I don't think DNS dynamic updates is required for Windows clients.
Windows clients do not provide services (in most cases) so they don't
need to be located in DNS/AD.  I found, when running BIND9 as my primary
DNS server that I  did not like the why DDNS updated and resorted my
zone files.  I didn't like having files with static entries being
changed by the server.

Actually, you don't absolutely need Dynamic DNS for servers.   When a
machine joins the domain as a domain controller it does try to update
DNS-  but if it can't it will write the required changes to a text file
(don't remember which off the top of my head but the event log will tell
you.    I have a mixed environment of Samba 3 PDC domains  and Windows
AD domains.  I found it easiest to make one of my Windows machines the
DNS server and only enable DDNS while  adding/removing a DC to the domain.

I have not used samba 4-  since it is still listed an Alpha.

Samba 3 does support domain trusts with Windows domains-  so if you have
little pockets already running Windows AD domains, you can still work
with them.

I think the one question you need to ask is:  what is the cost of
implementing AD  vs what is the cost of my time to make samba work?    I
run a mix of windows and linux clients, so samba is a good solution for
me since the underlying servers also support NFS, LDAP and other stuff
that plays nice with linux clients.    But I wish Samba 3 did have GPO
support.       You can use "NT4" type policies so some degree with Samba
3.  You can even create policy templates  to implement specific registry
changes-  but it is a pain.  I am hoping to see if I can use a Windows
DC as an LDAP/Keberos master for my environment, while keeping
Samba/Unix servers as file servers, but leveraging some of the stuff
that Windows AD does do well.