[Samba] Can't get 'dos filemode' to work as expected

Felix Brack fb at ltec.ch
Mon Apr 4 09:41:42 MDT 2011

On 04.04.2011 17:09, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:09 AM, Felix Brack<fb at ltec.ch>  wrote:
>> A 'getfacl' on /srv/samba/file-shares/tmp returns:
>>
>> # file: srv/samba/file-shares/tmp
>> # owner: root
>> # group: root
>> # flags: -s-
>> user::rwx
>> group::r-x
>> group:Development:rwx
>> mask::rwx
>> other::---
>> default:user::rwx
>> default:group::r-x
>> default:group:Development:rwx
>> default:mask::rwx
>> default:other::---
>
> Are you sure this is a Samba issue? What does a 'getfacl' on the files
> you create in the share look like?

I am not sure anymore that it is a samba problem. Perhaps my understand
of how ACLs are supposed to work is entirely wrong. Anyway: creating a
file 'test-file' and a directory 'test-directory' from a Windows XP
client's Explorer creates this:

# file: test-directory
# owner: root
# group: root
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::r-x
group:Development:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:Development:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

# file: test-file
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx                      #effective:r--
group:Development:rwx           #effective:r--
mask::r--
other::---

This is not what I wanted so I used the following two options on the share:

force create mode = 0660
force directory mode = 0770

With this getfacl returns the following:

# file: test-directory
# owner: root
# group: root
# flags: -s-
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:Development:rwx
mask::rwx
other::r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::rwx
default:group:Development:rwx
default:mask::rwx
default:other::---

# file: test-file
# owner: root
# group: root
user::rwx
group::rwx
group:Development:rwx
mask::rwx
other::---

At least now , If I am member of supplementary group 'Development', I
should have the same rights in directory 'test-directory' as if this was
owned by me (felix), right?

Felix