[Samba] Unable to connect to Samba share from Windows XP

Rick Gates rick123.gates at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 08:09:04 MDT 2011

Hi,

>> Right
now, I've managed to connect to the share with no problem, although I can't
write in the share; after all, I've moved forward a little bit.

Try "read only = no" for that share (in smb.conf).
I am quite sure that this would do the trick here.

>>My question
now is: is there a difference between the "read only" and "writable" tags in
the smb.conf? I mean, from my logic, "read only = no" should have the same
effects as "writable = yes". Maybe I'm wrong...

As far as the documentation of parameters say; there is no difference.
(http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/smb.conf.5.html#READONLY)
You can also try using help pages accessible through SWAT, for clearing
doubts
pertaining to smb.conf parameters.

Hope it was helpful,
Rick