[Samba] file names convert

Michael Wood esiotrot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 16 05:38:05 MDT 2010

Hi

On 16 September 2010 09:02, Alessio Tomelleri - ARPAV Dipartimento di
Belluno <atomelleri at arpa.veneto.it> wrote:
>  ..maybe could be useful this command ?!  get a closer look   "man tr"
>
> tr [:upper:] [:lower:] < myfile

He wants to change the filename, not the contents :)

> maybe, inserting it in a script as well...

Try something like:

for f in *; do
    lower="`echo $f | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`"
    if [ "$f" != "$lower" ]; then
        mv -i "$f" "$lower"
    fi
done

The "mv -i" is in case you have a file called "README.txt" and another
one called "Readme.txt" in the same directory.

Please try it out on some test files before running it in production.

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot at gmail.com>