[Samba] smbclient sending no frames outside local VLAN

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 07:24:32 MDT 2010

Is the print server a samba server or a CUPS server?  If it is a CUPS server
then maybe the smbclient is not the appropriate printing tool.  I believe
CUPS can share printers via several printing protocols (e.g. IPP and LPD.)
I don’t know if it can make the printer appear to be a windows shared
printer.

Do you have any samba client's on the same VLAN as the print server?  Can
you move the MacBook Pro to the same VLAN as the print server?  This would
isolate if the problem really is related to the VLAN.

My understanding of VLAN's is limited, but I believe it functions on the
network layer 2 (same as Ethernet) and not on layer 3 (i.e. IP protocol.)
Thinks like broadcasts might be blocked but connections to specific IP's
should not be affected.

If I understand correctly the two VLAN's still correspond to separate tcp/ip
class B subnets.