[Samba] Access Samba from Windows 3.1

Fri Sep 3 09:34:28 MDT 2010

On 09/02/2010 04:00 PM, Chris Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Public Mailing Lists
> <lists at lists.cichon.com>  wrote:
>
>> How do I need to configure Samba in order to connect to the latest Samba
>> server again? Unfortunately, I can't change the configuration of these old
>> Windows installations. Hopefully, there are some options that I can write
>> into smb.conf in order to re-enable old style Windows networking.
>>
> Interesting. Windows 3.1 with the workgroup add-on package (I used
> this with DOS) or WFWG 3.11?

It is "Windows for Workgroups 3.11".

> Always best to read the Changelog for all of the versions between the
> one you were at to the one you're moving to. As you don't mention
> versions I can only guess that there was a change in the default
> setting of some of these: "lanman auth", "client lanman auth",
> "encrypt passwords", "client plaintext auth". There may be others
> changes you want/need to be aware of as well.

Yes, there are so many options, it is confusing to me.

It is a trusted network without internet access, so it's OK if it hasn't
got the latest password encryption and authentication methods out there.

Would it be possible to put something into the FAQ or Readme file of Samba?
Something, like
"if you want to access that server from Windows for Workgroups 3.11,
put the following lines [...] into your smb.conf"
That would be greatly helpful for anyone else who needs to maintain a
legacy installation of Windows.

Thank you so much for your help!