[Samba] Samba 3.5.6, Solaris 10, pam_winbind.so will not link

Robert M. Martel - CSU r.martel at csuohio.edu
Fri Oct 29 09:34:12 MDT 2010

On 10/27/2010 06:04 PM, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 27, 2010 09:50 PM, Robert M. Martel - CSU wrote:
>> Still no progress trying to get Samba 3.5.6 built on Solaris 10, using
>> gcc 3.4.6.
>>

> Isn't it bad to use gcc for this? pam_winbind and nss_winbind would be
> using gcc ABI while the rest of the system using Sun Studio ABI...

I have not had an issue before in years of Solaris 8, 9, and 10 using
gcc to build samba, and everything else.

>> Linking shared library bin/pam_winbind.so
>> Undefined first referenced
>> symbol in file
>> libintl_bindtextdomain ../nsswitch/pam_winbind.o
>> libintl_dgettext ../nsswitch/pam_winbind.o
>> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to
>> bin/pam_winbind.so
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [bin/pam_winbind.so] Error 1
>>

> DO you have libintl somewhere?

Yes, in /usr/local/lib.  The prior parts of the samba build process can
find it once I add "-lintl" to the LIBS line 25 of the Makefile.
Running the make without that modification yields problems earlier in
the build process. I found I was not the only one with that issue:
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5445706

-Bob

Robert M. Martel                 I met someone who looks a lot like you
System Administrator             She does the things you do
Levin College of Urban Affairs   But she is an IBM
Cleveland State University                           -Jeff Lynne
(216) 687-2214
r.martel at csuohio.edu