[Samba] Highly-available file server question..

John_Delisle at ceridian.ca John_Delisle at ceridian.ca
Tue Oct 19 11:34:23 MDT 2010

I'm working on a project which requires a highly-available Samba service
in a hurry.

We multiple (3) servers with access to SAN storage using Oracle OCFS2
(clustered filesystem, allows each of the 3 nodes to simultaneously access
to the same SAN disk).  We need to somehow provide Windows clients with
access to a location on this shared SAN disk, using Samba.  OS is RHEL
5.5.

I can run samba on any/all of the 3 nodes, and have Cisco ACE's at our
disposal too if that helps.   We don't have clustering software to use for
the Samba service itself, and need to either run it on some or all of the
nodes and somehow direct clients to one of them.  Ideally, windows clients
will be provided with one UNC to access the share, and ideally will be
able to use this regardless of which node is actively servicing their
request.

At first, I was hoping we could use something like RHEL clustering for the
Samba service.  This isn't possible due to cost and other issues.  I
thought maybe we could go with DNS round-robin, pointing at the 3 Samba
servers.. This is better than nothing, but doesn't handle a down node very
gracefully (some clients will resolve to a down server).

Has anyone used ACE's to load-balance Samba?  Can anyone recommended
configuration for something like this, or maybe suggest a better way to do
it?  I'm open to ideas!
John Delisle | Business Analyst | Ceridian Canada Ltd. | ceridian.ca
400 ? 125 Garry Street | Winnipeg, MB R3C 3P2 | p: 204-975-5909 |
john_delisle at ceridian.ca

This communication is intended to be received only by the individual[s] or entity[s] to whom or to which it is addressed, and contains information which is confidential, privileged and subject to copyright.  Any unauthorized use, copying, review or disclosure is prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this communication in error [by calling collect, if necessary] so that we can arrange for its return at our expense.  Thank you in advance for your anticipated assistance and cooperation.

Cette communication est destinée uniquement à la personne ou à la personne morale à qui elle est adressée. Elle contient de l’information confidentielle, protégée par le secret professionnel et sujette à des droits d'auteurs. Toute utilisation, reproduction, consultation ou divulgation non autorisées sont interdites. Nous vous prions d’aviser immédiatement l’expéditeur si vous avez reçu cette communication par erreur (en appelant à frais virés, si nécessaire), afin que nous puissions prendre des dispositions pour en assurer le renvoi à nos frais. Nous vous remercions à l’avance de votre coopération.