[Samba] File permissions getting destroyed with M$ software on ZFS

Gaiseric Vandal gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 07:02:24 MDT 2010

I had a lot of problems with this as well.    I found it hard to find
much documentation on the zfs module in samba from either samba or sun.

(PS-  A big thumbs down to Sun and the OpenSolaris crowd for apparently
abandoning samba.)

I am running Samba 3.0.x from Sun on two servers and samba 3.4.x
compiled from source on the third.  I eventually opened a support case
with Sun which did help (somewhat.)

Did you check the permissions of the parent directory?  There may be an
inheritance issue.   Usually the following worked for me:

chmod -R A- thedirectory
chmod -R A=owner@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:allow ?thedirectory
chmod -R A+group@:rwxpdDaARWcCos:allow ?thedirectory

My share defintions looks like the following (the nfs4 and zfsacl
options were recommended by sun tech support.)

        vfs objects = zfsacl
         inherit permissions = Yes
         inherit acls = Yes
         nfs4:acedup = merge
         nfs4:chown = yes
         nfs4: mode = special
         mapread only = no
         ea support = yes
         store dos attributes = yes
         create mask = 0770
         force create mode = 0600
         directory mask = 0775
         force directory mode = 0600
         zfsacl: acesort = dontcare

PS.  Are your samba shares on top of autofs shares?   If so, you may
also need to do the following.

# chmod A+user:nobody:aRc:allow  thedirectory

So far it seems to work OK.