[Samba] Compatibility of Samba

Chris Weiss cweiss at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 18:23:27 MST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Gaiseric Vandal
<gaiseric.vandal at gmail.com> wrote:
> compatible with other versions of Windows.   Samba aside, I can't see any
> reason WFW or even NT4 should be used in a production environment.

At work we maintain a few older CNC mills, lathes, grinders, etc.
Win95, dos, nt4, and win2k are all in the mix.  the OS's cannot be
upgraded because there are no drivers for the specialized hardware.
These are slowly being phased out as the become too costly to
maintain, but they all do what we ask of them, and tossing working
equipment just because the software is old isn't a sane business
practice.

And back on topic, all versions of Windows can work with Samba, even
the very latest, in a workgroup scenario.  I have had issues with
win9x and older when using samba as a member server in a windows
domain.  I have not tried with samba has a PDC though.

The wording of the question allows for the interpretation of running
samba daemons on windows, which will not work.