[Samba] LVS and SAMBA

Michael Adam obnox at samba.org
Thu Nov 18 13:56:33 MST 2010

Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> 2010/11/3 Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke at sernet.de>:
> > On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 11:03:20AM -0300, Ciro Iriarte wrote:
> >> Hi, would it be possible to  run two nodes with SAMBA+LDAP and a OCFS2
> >> filesystem, with LVS load balancing WITHOUT CTDB?. This would be
> >> relying only on OCFS2 file locking. The idea is to provide
> >> authentication, HA file service and load balancing.
> >
> > That would cause data corruption. As far as I know (please
> > correct me if I'm wrong) OCFS2 does not support the full
> > semantics required for share modes, oplocks and all the
> > other fancy cifs features that Samba provides. That's the
> > point of the ctdb and clustered samba combo.
> >
> > Volker
> >

> Well, the new "cool" feature on OCFS2 is fcntl, apparently is not
> enough. With CTDB I see that nodes use the same netbios name. How
> would that affect domain controller feature?. I won't like to build
> other server pair just for PDC/BDC....

When you think a little about it you will agree that
when serving the same folder from a cluster file system
like ocfs2, as mounted on two different nodes, as
samba shares from these nodes, then you will have to
configure the two sambas to use the same netbios name.
Not only that, but you will also have to make sure that
the windows SID --> unix ID mappings are identical.
(Unless, of course, you like data corruption. ;-)
And so on.

The typical use case for a clustered samba with ctdb
is a file server that is member in a domain, but you
can in principle also run samba as a clustered Domain
controller on the cluster. THis will just be one DC
then (since the samba's on the nodes will have to
appear as one server together), but this way you could
replace the PDC/BDC replication, failover and load
balancing mechanism of the classical PDC/BDC scheme
buy using e.g. one clustered PDC. This could even use
tdbsam then (instead of ldapsm), since replication
is done by CTDB then.

I personally have not done such a setup. But it should
not be a big problem. Be sure to use the "cluster addresses"
variable in smb.conf here to make nmbd happy.
Maybe Jim McDonough can share some of his experiences here? :-)

Cheers - Michael