[Samba] krb ticket for the computer account

Mustafa Kuscu mustafakuscu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 01:07:47 MST 2010

Hi Samba community,

Here is a problem I could not solve. I would like to mount a cifs share to
my local Linux machine, which is bound to a windows domain using winbind.
The share needs to be mounted by the linux machine's computer account. Here
is what I do:

# su - DOMAIN\\computer$

[DOMAIN\computercomputer ~]$
<<< i think there is a problem with the bash prompt, skip it for now >>>

[DOMAIN\computercomputer ~]$ whoami
DOMAIN\computer$

[DOMAIN\computercomputer ~]$ sudo mount -o user=DOMAIN\\computer$,sec=krb5
//remotehost/remoteshare /mnt/localmount
mount error(126): Required key not available
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

[DOMAIN\computercomputer ~]$ klist -5
klist: No credentials cache found (ticket cache FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_16777222)

[DOMAIN\computercomputer ~]$ kinit -5 computer\$@domain.com
Password for computer$@domain.com:

As you know, computer account passwords are not supposed to be entered by
users under normal circumstances.
How can I obtain a krb5 ticket for the computer account?

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

Mustafa