[Samba] Windows 7 problems

henri ciradhb.forward at laposte.net
Tue Nov 9 08:29:23 MST 2010

Hi,

I have upgraded to Samba 3.5.6 for Windows 7 Pro compatibility.
I am in a test phase to evaluate the behavior of Windows 7 in a Samba PDC
environment.
I have one Samba server as a PDC with tdbsam backend (no LDAP at all), and I
applied the reg and patch as described in the wiki.

I have a couple of questions related to Windows 7 :

- opening a domain session on the Win7 client takes a long time. At least 40
seconds, while there is no delay on XP client. Is it a kown problem ? A bug
? What can be done to avoid such a delay ?

- in smb.conf , the %a value for Windows 7 is "Vista" , right ?

- NT Default Profile no longer works with Windows 7 . I guess it is normal ,
but is there a workaround ?

- Same question for NT policies : I assume it is normal that windows 7 does
not support NTconfig.pol files any longer. Nevertheless, is there a way to
get the same features ? For these kind of functionality (having some control
of user profiles on Win7 clients) , is AD the only and inescapable solution
?

For my needs (200 domain users), NT domain was a sufficient solution and
worked perfectly with XP. I am affraid that with Windows 7, I will have to
move to something much more and unnecessarily complex :-( .

Thanks in advance for your help.

Henri