[Samba] Samba + CUPS

Damien J Dye damien.j.dye at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 16:49:37 MDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Couchman [mailto:Nick.Couchman at seakr.com]
Sent: 24 May 2010 22:58
To: Damien J Dye; 'Ryan Suarez'
Cc: samba at lists.samba.org
Subject: RE: [Samba] Samba + CUPS

>> the whole point of using CUPS is to get rid of the broken drivers in the
>> first place
>>
>> all PPD options are passed though to the windows client
>> http://svn.easysw.com/public/windows/trunk/x64/
>> http://svn.easysw.com/public/windows/trunk/i386/

This may just work, except that the PPD file provided by Ricoh does not
contain the option for the Document Server functionality on the copier, so I
can't send jobs to the "Hold Queue" or document "mailboxes" on the copier.
I'm going to hit Ricoh up about that one - seems like something that should
be in the PPD file.

-Nick

Nick

for printer queue holding managed by cups so can be deployed on any printer.

have a look at the following cups options

Holding Jobs for Later Printing

The -o job-hold-until=when option tells CUPS to delay printing until the
"when" time, which can be one of the following:

    * -o job-hold-until=indefinite; print only after released by the user or
an administrator
    * -o job-hold-until=day-time; print from 6am to 6pm local time
    * -o job-hold-until=night; print from 6pm to 6am local time
    * -o job-hold-until=second-shift; print from 4pm to 12am local time
    * -o job-hold-until=third-shift; print from 12am to 8am local time
    * -o job-hold-until=weekend; print on Saturday or Sunday
    * -o job-hold-until=HH:MM; print at the specified UTC time

http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/options.html

users can then login to cups and release their jobs from a web interface.

unfortunately am not aware of the document "mailboxes" concept so I am not
able to advise on that one.

Regards

---
Damien