[Samba] Samba file server slowness

David Sirrine dsirrine at gmail.com
Tue May 18 08:53:11 MDT 2010

Below, you will find the pertinent information regarding my installation and
configuration regarding my samba install. I am currently trying to move my
companies file server off of windows and on to CentOS using Samba.
Everything works great, until I enable vfs_full_audit. Once I do that, the
server comes to a screaching halt due to the fact that when a user browses
to the mapped directory from their windows machine, it stats every single
directory. I need to be able to do logging due to industry compliance needs,
and it looks like the full_audit is what will get the job done best for me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm noticing a LOT of failures as it stats all the directories, it's
looking for desktop.ini. Again, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Samba version: 3.0.33-3.15.el5_4.1
OS: CentOS 5.3
smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup = <windows domain>
realm = <ad server>
server string = %h server  (Samba %v, CentOS)
password server = <ad server>
enable privileges = Yes
allow trusted domains = No
dns proxy = no
use spnego = yes
client use spnego = yes
name resolve order = host wins bcast
disable spoolss = yes
smb ports = 139
netbios name = file-server
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
log level = 0
max log size = 50

security = ADS
encrypt passwords = yes
socket options  = TCP_NODELAY
time server = Yes
map to guest = nobody
idmap domains = KMI
idmap config KMI:default = yes
idmap config KMI:backend = rid
idmap config KMI:range = 16777217-33554431
winbind enum users = No
winbind enum groups = No
template shell = /sbin/nologin
winbind use default domain = yes