[Samba] samba.org has been revised!

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed May 19 11:51:27 MDT 2010

On 05/19/2010 09:48 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
> On 2010/05/19 09:12 (GMT-0400) David Eisner composed:
>
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Felix Miata <mrmazda at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>> Not even close. Arguably it's attractive, as long as you don't actually need
>>> to use it or read anything on it. Pray your eyes are as good as a 15 year old
>>> or you aren't using a high resolution device to access it if so.
>
>> I like the new design.  I'm not particularly young, and I don't have a
>> particularly fancy monitor.  I do wear glasses, though.
>
> Many people, regardless of age, even with correction, don't see particularly
> well, but quite well enough to use web pages that respect their defaults.
> These aren't the only people now being disrespected. All, regardless of
> eyesight, should be respected. Web designers as a group either don't
> understand the meaning of that word, or don't think it a necessary part of
> designing for the web.
>
> http://fm.no-ip.com/Inet/shame.html

Felix,

I respect your right to have and express your opinions regarding the new
look of the Samba web site.  I also wish to point out the great freedom
we have and exercise in the open source community - that of contributing
something better.  Remember though, that since we are predominately
consensus-driven, what you I view as best may not meet with unanimous
agreement from the greater community. This gets us back to respect for
the right to disagree.

Seriously, if you have a strong conviction that the Samba project would
be better served with a different look-and-feel, and a more appropriate
logical layout, please pursue your concerns - and contribute at least a
proof of concept.

We are currently short of resources to help manage the web site and the
wiki, so if you have an interest and a passion, and plenty of time on
your hands, please let us see your hand raised to volunteer to get on
with the work needed.

I love feedback - good and bad!

Cheers,
John T.