[Samba] Steps to move away parts away from samba?

Tim-Ole Alexander Golz toag at izsr.de
Wed May 19 10:36:16 MDT 2010

hi, Mike,

maybe it won´t be that helpful, but we are exactly on the opposite path ...

why? because we are struggling with Windows since Windows NT (currently with 2008 Server), and there are LOTS of appointments as well.

it happens that Microsoft is changing a config from 2k3 to 2k8, things are broken , not always working very well ...

Samba, on the other hand, is an ever-ongoing battle, yes, but thats Windows server as well, and you dont have to pay the license fee for Samba.

we are servicing some small and medium size companys, and many of the users are frustrated about Microsoft products, especially there where we introduced Vista.

and Windows 2003 terminalserver is a horror!

more specific: yes, you can activate AD in a windows 2008 server, and you can authenticate Unix machines at a ADS domain. but dont expect that everything will work very well or without searching fpor solutions and googling and messing around with hundreds of mouseclicks in the Microsoft configuration-menu-jungle ...

greetings

toag