[Samba] winbind ubuntu 9.10 crashing machine

Jim Kusznir jkusznir at gmail.com
Tue May 18 14:01:28 MDT 2010

Oh, note for the "does not crash the system", there is one other
modification that is required to be made at the same time: I need to
remove winbind from the pam.d/* files.  In order for the system to
boot successfully when winbind is badly broken/crashed, I must
simultaneously remove it from nsswitch.conf AND pam.d/*.  Only doing
one or the other still results in a hung system.  Removing it from
both allows the computer to be used with local accounts but does not
"fix" winbind; it remains "crashed" and spews large quantities of log
messages, some of which are included at the beginning of this thread.

Thanks!
--Jim