[Samba] Samba & Alternate Data Streams

Marten Gajda marten.gajda at FernUni-Hagen.de
Mon May 17 16:58:09 MDT 2010

Am 17.05.2010 21:50, schrieb Jeremy Allison:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 09:42:44PM +0200, Marten Gajda wrote:
>
>> I don't have any vfs module enabled. So at least some streams do work
>> without streams_xattr. As I already mentioned the :Zone-Identifier
>> stream is working to a certain degree.
>>
> Not correctly, and I don't see how to be honest.

The Zone.Identifier indeed is fully working now. Even if I copy a
downloaded executable from another volume I get a warning when I open
the file. In the logs of my file system I can see the creation of the
stream. It is treated just like a regular file. The difference is: my
file system doesn't list the ADS files.
>> If I store a file (with Firefox) on the share this stream is created and
>> the explorer property sheet evaluates its content and tells me the file
>> is from the internet (I can "unlock" the file too).
>> It also works if I manually fakes the file's origin. But on the other
>> hand, this stream is not created when I copy a file from another NTFS drive.
>> As there is no use for xattrs in my file system I'd like to get this
>> stuff working without them.
>>
> Can't be done. You need to have either the streams_xattr
> module or streams_depot module enabled to get streams
> support. Where do you think the stream data will get stored on
> the filesysytem if you don't enable either of these ?

They could be stored like regular files among the other files. Actually
that's exactly what samba was trying to do (without these modules), and
that's how I learned about the existence of ADS. I was wondering what
strange file names appeared in my logs after upgrading from samba 3.0.37.
My file system knows about (some) streams and doesn't list them,
although you can read and write them. But I have to admit that Samba had
a hard time to know which streams exist if they are not listed.
I'll have a look at the streams_depot module.

regards

Marten