[Samba] DOS Attributes with mixed xattr filesystem support

Jarrad Whitaker jarrad.whitaker at gmail.com
Wed May 12 08:53:12 MDT 2010

Hi,

I'm running Samba as a glorified NAS at the moment - to begin with, I
have an ext3 storage partition, /storage. In this is a directory,
/storage/Personal, which has its own Samba share (also Personal). At
this point, dos attributes using filesystem xattrs work beautifully. The
problem comes when I start to fiddle further...
I have a Novell NetWare filesystem  (ncpmount) mounted at
/home/jarrad/novellmount - accessed from the system running the samba
server, this works fine; however, the ncpmount filesystem does not
support extended attributes. /home/jarrad/novellmount has a subdirectory
/home/jarrad/novellmount/directory1.
Now the fun: as soon as I make a symbolic link
/storage/Personal/novelldirectory1 to point to
/home/jarrad/novellmount/directory1, Samba stops emulating DOS
attributes on my Personal share (at least as far as my Windows 7 client
is concerned).
Is there any way around this?

Thanks,
Jarrad Whitaker