[Samba] security = share

Cassian Braconnnier ptyxs at free.fr
Tue Mar 30 04:09:31 MDT 2010

Le 29/03/2010 21:54, Jeremy Allison a écrit :
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 09:45:06PM +0200, Cassian Braconnier wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> in "Using Samba" by G. Carter, J  Ts and R. Eckstein, 3rd edition, on
>> chapter 5, page 113, I ses that the security = share option is
>> "deprecated". It is said that "there is a high chance that ... will be
>> removed from Samba at some future time".
>>
>> I find that security = share is extremely useful for many small non
>> critical networks.
>> Is it still the case that this option is considered "deprecated" ? and
>> if so what is supposed to replace it and to give the same functionality ?ier
>>
> Well you can replace security = share with the correct "map to guest"
> options, so it really isn't useful in the way you think. Having said
> that we haven't (yet) removed it, and I just refactored the code
> that implements it, so it'll probably be around causing us trouble
> for a while yet :-).
>
> Jeremy.

With "security = share", the user, on a Windows client, has just to
click on the computer icon and everything is there, available.
As far as I can see (but maybe I am mistaken), with "map to guest" a
dialog opens with identifier and password fields : something very
troublesome for the average non professional user (potentially millions
of users throughout the world). If so, from the point of view of non
professional users, to remove "security = share" would be a considered a
regression, it seems.
Cassian Braconnier