[Samba] ?: winbind dont start

Robert LeBlanc robert at leblancnet.us
Wed Mar 24 08:24:02 MDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Mistofeles <ptmusta at utu.fi> wrote:

> I have two similar PC with similar Ubuntu 9.10 srv installation.
> In the beginning both authenticated fine against our AD with Samba.
> I changed the NIC to another PC and moved it to another subdomain.
> Old IP changed from XXX.XXX.104.187 to XXX.XXX.41.32.
> The other PC works OK.
> SSH works in both. So the network is up.
>
> kinit myname at MYDOMAIN
> - OK
> klist
> - OK
> /etc/init.d/samba restart
> - OK
> net ads join -U myname
> - OK
>
> STEP 1:
>
> /etc/init.d/winbind start
> - The system stops here.
> If I open another SSH window, this is the last lines in
> /var/log/samba/log.winbind:
>
> [2010/03/23 15:57:18,  2] param/loadparm.c:7736(do_section)
>  Processing section "[WWW_BCK_oldest]"
> [2010/03/23 15:57:18,  3] param/loadparm.c:6190(lp_add_ipc)
>  adding IPC service
>
> STEP 2:
>
> I apt-get purge all of these:
> samba, samba-common, samba-common-bin, smbfs, winbind
> - OK
>
> Then I apt-get install samba
> - OK
>
> apt-get install winbind
> - Everything freezes in the middle of the installation, while restarting
> winbind.
>
> Please tell me where I can find help. Google, RTFM and FAQ have not given
> any help so far.

You didn't mention if you updated your smb.conf and krb5.conf file (if
necessary) to reflect the new subdomain (unless by subdomain you don't mean
an Active directory subdomain and you are talking about a subnet). If you
have, then I would try a net ads leave and then a net ads join again.

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences & Undergraduate Education Computer Support
Brigham Young University