[Samba] Can only see files one level deep

Andy Liebman andyliebman at aol.com
Fri Jun 18 12:01:55 MDT 2010

On 06/18/2010 11:35 AM, DNK wrote:
> I solved it! (For me). Pulled from here.
>
> http://www.macwindows.com/snowleopard-filesharing.html#050310a
>

> The veto files line for my share in /etc/samba/smb.conf includes the file .DS_Store. For Mac clients accessing the share using SMB instead of AFP, the .DS_Store file needs to be accessible and writable, otherwise the Finder will hang trying to create it. Hope this helps!
>
> I commented out the following line in my smb.conf:
>
> #veto files = /.DS_Store/._.*/DesktopFolderDB/Network Trash Folder/resource.frk/TheFindByContentFolder/TheVolumeSettingsFolder/

You might also want to consider telling OS X to NOT create .DS_Store
files on network volumes in the first place.  .DS_Store files store
information about how you want things to display in Finder when you are
looking at that directory -- icons versus text, icon size, colored
highlighting on files and folders, etc.

Unless there is some specific reason why you WANT that functionality, it
is best to configure OS X to not create .DS_Store files on network
volumes.  Allowing OS X to create these  files can lead to all sorts of
problems if multiple users need to access a particular Samba share.  One
OS X computer will tend to try to "own" the .DS_Store file, causing
other workstations to give you the beach ball or other kernel panics
when they cannot modify the same file.

To disable .DS_Store file creation:

    *      open Terminal in OS X (from /Applications/Utilities)
    *      run the following command, all on one line:

     $ defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores
true

You may have to run it as sudo, i.e.,

     $ sudo defaults write com.apple.desktopservices
DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

-- Andy Liebman